Born: August 16, 1930 - Deceased: July 25, 2021
Shirley Lois Merritt, nee Kasal, 90, of Belleville, IL, went home to be with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on Sunday, July 25, 2021 at Clinton Manor Living Center in New Baden, IL.
Being the “people person” she was, Shirley’s jobs and occupations always seemed to be filled with people. While still in high school (BTHS class of 1948), she was the switchboard operator for the Belleville Hotel after school from 3pm to 11pm. After graduation, she continued on a switchboard for Menx Modes Dress Company in St. Louis, eventually becoming their factory dress model. Soon the airlines industry caught her attention and she became a stewardess with Delta in Atlanta, GA. Seeing the better part of the Eastern half of our Country, she moved to Denver, CO and Continental Airlines to see the Western half. Next in her “peopled life” was the restaurant field, beginning with hostessing at Miss Hullings organization, then catering manager on the River Queen floating restaurant. The last 32 years of her working career was spent selling advertising specialties beginning at Call Printing in E. St. Louis and finishing with 10 years at Gifts For Individuals in O’Fallon. Her retirement years were spent traveling with Richard and lots of volunteering at St. Matthew UMC, including two mission trips to Paraguay, S.A. and six mission trips to Red Bird in Southeastern Kentucky.
She was preceded in death by her:
- Parents, Louis and Josephine, nee Novosak, Kasal
- 1st Husband, Vernon L. Walsh in June 1982
- Husband, Richard A. Merritt in August 2008
- Ronald Merritt
- Jack Holshouser
- Cousin, Besse Poletti
Surviving are her:
- Son, Scott E. Walsh of Okawville, IL
- Brother, Robert L. Kasal
- Stepson, Richard Guy Merritt
- Stepdaughter, Marie Taliaferro (James) of Henderson, TX
- Chad (Anna) Taliaferro
- Andrew Merritt
- Emily (Blake) Hughes
- Nineveh Milan
- Twins, Benjamin and Jonathan
- Carol Holshouser of O’Fallon, IL
- Sue Merritt of Fairmont City, IL
- Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law, George and Gloria Postor of Smithton, IL
- Terry Walsh
- Poncho Walsh
- Dean Walsh
- Alberta Greenhill of Cahokia, IL
- Michael Harmon of St. Louis, MO
- Richard Novosak of St. Louis, MO
- Dear family friend, Kim Faust of Lebanon, IL.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to St. Matthew United Methodist Church in Belleville, IL.
Visitation: Visitation from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm, Friday, July 30, 2021 at Kurrus Funeral Home, Belleville, IL.
Funeral: Funeral will be held at 1:00 pm, Friday, July 30, 2021 at Kurrus Funeral Home with Rev. Bob Swickard officiating. Priviate interment will be at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, MO.