Born: August 12, 1978 - Deceased: November 17, 2023
Matthew Alan Rongey, 45, of Roxana, IL, born Saturday, August 12, 1978, in Anacoco, LA, passed away Friday, November 17, 2023 at Alton Memorial Hospital in Alton, IL.
To know Matt was to know he was never too serious. He loved to tease and joke around with everyone. He especially liked to remind you of funny embarrassing incidents. Many of those involving his Dad and his son, Bailey. Those he enjoyed the most. If you asked any of his family members, they would tell you that Matt always said he could do any task because it was “ In the Rongey blood.”
He has had different careers over his life but one of his most recent adventures was working on commercial fishing boats in Alaska, which made for many great stories.
Matt’s most proud accomplishments were his children whom he loved to spend time with. They were the light of his life and he was happiest when they were by his side.
He was preceded in death by his:
- Maternal grandparents: Golden and Stephanie Drew
- Paternal Grandmother: Phyllis Rongey, nee Creath
- Special aunt: Mary Wierciak
Surviving are his:
- Bailey Rongey of Belleville, IL
- Luke Rongey of Collinsville, IL
- Paige Rongey of Collinsville, IL
- Father: Donald Ray (Sue) Rongey of Hardin, IL
- Mother: Stephanie Drew of Eureka, MO
- Brother: Steven (Tracey) Downey of Millersville, MD
- Sister: Jackie (Andy) Baalman of Hardin, IL
- Significant other: Leslie Conner of Roxana, IL
- Many dear aunts, uncles, and cousins
Memorials: Memorials may be made to GoFundMe.com for funeral expenses. https://gofund.me/51842a7d
Visitation: Visitation from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: A funeral procession will leave Kurrus at 1:15 pm, Tuesday, November 21, 2023 for a 1:30 pm Graveside Service at St. Adalbert’s Cemetery in Fairview Heights, IL.