Born: September 11, 1935 - Deceased: December 22, 2022
Katherine “Katy” Habermehl, 87, of Belleville, IL, born Wednesday, September 11, 1935, in East St. Louis, IL, passed away Thursday, December 22, 2022 after a long battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
Katy retired from Southwestern Bell Co. ( now AT-T) after forty-two years of service as a telephone operator and a member of the Pioneers Union. After she retired, she babysat her great nephew, Derek. She loved going out to eat and chatting with everyone she met. She enjoyed reading, watching Law and Order, Judge Judy, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud, The Golden Girls, Andy Griffin and so many other shows. After falling with her dog Daisy Mae, she was diagnosed with stage four bladder cancer twenty years ago and beat it. She was a huge animal lover and even though she never had any children of her own, her animals were her children. she was diagnosed with AML in January of twenty-twenty and continue to fight it for over two years. Recently, she also beat COVID-19. She was a fighter until the very end. We, her family, are thankful for the last three years of her life. She was a dear sister, aunt, and a dear friend to many. We love you and miss you!
She was preceded in death by her:
- Parents: William and Mamie, nee Poff, Habermehl
- Brother: George Habermehl Sr.
- Wilma Withrow
- Lillian Roberts
- Dorothy McIntyre
- Nancy Wilson
- Rose Dillon Clark
- Nephew: Donald McAlister Jr.
- Great nephew: Brian Beckman
- Great niece: Jessica McAlister
- Brother-in-law: Tom Dillon
- Jack Yaekel
- Roger Beckerman
- Her fur babies
- Daisy Mae
Surviving are her:
- Brother: Robert “Bob” J. (Linda) Habermehl of Highland, IL
- Edna Dillon of Swansea, IL
- Dolores (Donald Sr.) McAlister of Belleville, IL
- Special great nephew: Derek McIntyre of Belleville, IL
- Sandi (Larry) Lewis of Collinsville, IL
- Kathleen Yaekel of Columbia, IL
- Trish Beckman of Hoffman, IL
- Pam Gulla of the Villages, FL
- Janet (Jim) Thier of FL
- Tina (Brad) McGehee of Chicago, IL
- Pam (Jeff) Loesche of Swansea, IL
- Lisa (Jimmy) Cage of O’Fallon, MO
- George Habermehl Jr. of Collinsville, IL
- Billy (Nichole) Habermehl of Highland, IL
- Craig Habermehl of St. Louis, MO
- Robert (Sarah) Habermehl Jr. of Peyton, Co
- Bill Roberts of Sarasota, FL
- Danny (Freda) Habermehl of Co
- Doug Roberts of Chicago, IL
- Mack (Andrea) McIntyre of Edwardsville, IL
- Mark McIntyre of Litchfield, IL
- Great nieces and great nephews and other family members
- A special friend and neighbor of over 20 years: Joyce Underwood of Belleville, IL
- She will be missed by her fur baby: Muffie
Special Thank you: A very Special Thank you to Dr. Guillermo Rodriguez Jr., MD (retired). Thank you also to nurse Pam and the staff at Siteman Cancer Center in Shiloh, IL. You were all her family and she loved all of you. Thank you to Family Hospice, too. Also, to the staff at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the Siteman Cancer Center, Belleville Area Humane Society or Family Hospice.
Visitation: Visitation from 3:00 – 5:00 pm, Tuesday, December 27, 2022 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, IL.
Funeral: Per her wishes, Private Family Services will be held with Msgr. Bill McGhee officiating. Private Interment at Valhalla Gardens of Memory in Belleville, IL.