Born: August 25, 1931 - Deceased: January 20, 2021
Irvin B. DeFrates Jr., 89, of Belleville, IL, born Tuesday, August 25, 1931 in Belleville, IL, passed away peacefully Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at his residence in Belleville, IL.
Irv was a chemist by trade but spent the bulk of his career specializing in marketing for a major St. Louis chemical company. He was a member of Signal Hill United Methodist Church in Belleville Illinois, former member of the Signal Hill School Board and Signal Hill Education Foundation. He served in the US Navy in the Korean War.
Irv was an avid gardener and loved the outdoors. He would spend hours cultivating his juicy tomatoes and giant zucchinis. He was also a huge sports fan and loved to listen to his St. Louis Cardinals as he would weed his garden. But perhaps the sporting events he liked best were the ones where his grandkids were playing. Papa Irv was a coach, a motivator and a great sport.
He was preceded in death by his:
- Wife: Frances J., nee Brown, DeFrates
- Parents: Irvin B. and Viola, nee Ackerman, DeFrates Sr.
Surviving are his:
- Lissa (Dave) Hollenbeck of Belleville, IL
- Lanna (Brent) Boyles of Belleville, IL
- Stacey (Mark) Henke of Belleville, IL
- Renee (Brian) Dietz of Belleville, IL
- Sister: Carol (Paul) Peterson of Belleville, IL
- Blake Hollenbeck
- Blair Hollenbeck
- Jay Boyles
- Kally (Richard) deBruijne
- Drew Boyles
- Cole Henke
- Derek Henke
- Chloe Dietz.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the Belleville West Athletic Booster Club or Signal Hill Education Foundation.
Funeral: Private family services with interment at Valhalla Gardens of Memory, Belleville, IL.