Born: April 13, 1935 - Deceased: September 20, 2023
Gloria “Tooky” A. Poston, nee Merritt, 88, of Smithton, IL, born Saturday, April 13, 1935, in East St. Louis, IL, passed away Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at Freeburg Care Center in Freeburg, IL.
When Gloria’s children were young, the phrase “stay-at-home-mom” didn’t exist. It was usual for women to stay home with the children while their husbands worked. But even by the standards of the era, Gloria was an exceptional wife and mother. She cared deeply for her family and friends. She did this not out of obligation, but because of who she was. She was always the first to offer help. She always ensured that every child who crossed her threshold was happy. All the children’s friends loved her and called her their second mom.
She was preceded in death by her:
- First husband of 30 years: Virgil J. Stogner
- Virgil Stogner
- Jeffrey Stogner
- David Stogner
- Daughter: Diane Stogner
- Parents: Raymond and Ruth C., nee Snow, Merritt
- Grandson: Thomas Stogner
- Melba Restivo
- Darlene R. Haas
- Raymond Merritt
- Richard Merritt
- Ronald G. Merritt
- Daughter-in-law: Lora L. Stogner
Surviving are her:
- Husband of 39 years: George C. Poston of Smithton, IL
- Thomas Stogner of O’Fallon, IL
- Carole (Scott) Hassall of Troy, IL
- Stephen Poston
- Sharon J. Poston
- Donald P. Poston
- Scott P. Poston
- Numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren
- Sister: Carole Holshouser of O’Fallon, IL
- Daughter-in-law: Jo Stogner of Caseyville, IL
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the Freeburg Care Center, 746 Urbana Drive, Freeburg, IL 62243.
Visitation: Visitation from 4:00 – 7:00 pm, Friday, September 22, 2023 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, IL.
Funeral: Funeral Services will be held at 7:00 pm, Friday, September 22, 2023 at Kurrus Funeral Home, with Deacon Corby Valentine officiating. Private family interment at Valhalla Garden of Memories in Belleville, IL.