Born: April 21, 1928 - Deceased: August 29, 2023
Dewey E. Hawkins of Belleville, 95, passed from this life into his Eternal Home on Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at St. Paul’s Senior Home in Belleville, IL. at 5:55 a.m.
Dewey Elisha Hawkins was born at home on April 21, 1928, in Romine Twp, Iuka, IL, near Centralia. He was the fourth son of the six sons and five daughters born to Emery G. and Eva Iola (Hill) Hawkins. On April 20, 1941, he committed his life to Christ and was baptized at the Central Church of Christ in Mt. Vernon, IL. Dewey had long desired to go into ministry; and upon his graduation from Mt. Vernon Twp. High School, he enrolled at Lincoln Bible Institute (later Lincoln Christian University) from which he graduated with a B.A. In Christian Ministry in 1953.
On September 28, 1953, he was united in marriage with Mary Elaine Fleenor of Geff, IL; their marriage was blessed with two daughters and one son, and they enjoyed nearly 70 years together until his death.
For more than fifty years, Dewey served as minister to several rural Southern Illinois churches, including 31 years of ministry to the Old Ripley Church of Christ near Greenville, IL. Being a bi-vocational minister, Dewey was employed as a Loan Officer at First National Bank of Belleville; Business Manager for the State of Illinois Dept. of Corrections, Juvenile Div; Chief Deputy Clerk of the U.S. District Court, Southern Dist.; and with the Illinois Dept. of Human Services from which he retired at age 70. After retirement, Dewey and Elaine traveled in their motor home until health issues arose. They visited family and friends in several states, as well as many scenic and historical sites throughout the U.S.
Dewey loved growing flowers and vegetable plants, enjoyed tending his yard, and was a lover of all kinds of music – especially classical. He encouraged their three children to study piano, and was especially proud of their accomplishments.
Dewey was preceded in death by his:
- Leigh, Grant, Rufus, Glen
- Two sisters
- Mary Wilson
- Grace Davenport
Surviving are his:
- Wife: Elaine
- Daughter: Lisa (Tom) Ewing of Mahomet, IL
- Son: Kent (Kim) Hawkins of Vero Beach, FL
- Daughter: Gina (Gene) Harlan of Belleville, IL
- Seven grandchildren:
- Mandy (Aaron) Fusselman of Vero Beach, FL
- Knox Ewing of San Antonio, TX
- Jonathan (Sara) Hawkins of Greeneville, TN
- Kye (Jody) Ewing of Urbana, IL
- Kale (Alexandra) Ewing of Chicago, IL
- Mitchell (Katey) Harlan of O’Fallon, MO
- Haley Harlan of Belleville, IL
- Also surviving are four great-granddaughters:
- Sadie, Lydia, and Evie Fusselman
- Anne Hawkins
- a fifth great-granddaughter,(a little Harlan girl),is expected next month
- a great grandson, (a little Ewing boy), will join our family in January
- Dewey is survived by two sisters:
- Violet Green of Stillwater, OK
- Pheba (Harold) Smith of Louisville, KY,
- A host of nieces, nephews, and their families.
He was dearly loved, and will be sorely missed.
The family wishes to thank St. Paul’s Senior Home for their kind and compassionate care of Dewey these past five years.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to Cornerstone Christian Church, 5950 12th Street; Vero Beach, Florida 32966.
Visitation: Visitation will be 4-7 p.m. on Friday, Sept.1 and 9:30-10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept 2. at Kurrus Funeral Home, 1773 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville, IL 62223.
Funeral: Funeral Services will be at Kurrus Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sepember 2, 2023, conducted by Dewey’s son, Kent Hawkins, Minister of Cornerstone Christian Church, Vero Beach, Florida. Burial will follow at Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Cisne, IL, (located at 1476 County Rd. 1425 East), where several generations of Elaine’s family are laid to rest.