Born: January 2, 1947 - Deceased: November 11, 2021
Barbara Lela Gegel, nee Trappe, 74, of Belleville, born January 2, 1947, in Belleville, IL, passed away Thursday, November 11, 2021, at Memorial Hospital in Belleville, IL.
Barb had the kindest and most generous heart and did not know a stranger. Trained as a teacher, Barb attended Illinois State University and finished her teaching degree at SIU Carbondale. She taught at New Athens, Dupo, and Freeburg high schools, owned Poppers Family Hair Care, and most recently worked for Helping Hands. She was an active member of the Belleville Women’s Club. Barb’s gift was the love she had for her family and so many cherished friends.
She was preceded in death by her:
- Son: Colin Matthew Gegel
- Parents: Dr. Charles H. and Virginia B., nee Zalewski, Trappe
- Nephew: Charlie Black
Surviving are her:
- Husband of 55 years: Brian W. Gegel of Belleville, IL
- Daughter: Nicole “Nikki” Gegel (Eric) Brauer of Normal, IL
- Son: Brian T. (Cynthia Blanco) Gegel of San Antonio, TX
- Chloe Brauer
- Gabriella Gegel
- Ian Gegel
- Mary (Jack) Abel of Plainfield, IL
- Charlene (Ted) Trappe-Black of Heyworth, IL
- Jon Abel
- Ben (Rachel) Abel
- Lydia (fiance Paul) Abel
- Ginny Black
- Great nephew: Vin Abel
- Dear friends: Sharon & Frank Vollmer of Belleville, IL
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society.
Visitation: Visitation from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, Saturday, November 27, 2021, at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: Funeral Services will be held at 1:00 pm, Saturday, November 27, 2021, at Kurrus Funeral Home, with Rev. Clyde Grogan officiating. Private family interment.