Born: June 23, 1944 - Deceased: January 8, 2023
Jerald “Jerry” Bolen, 78, of Fairview Heights, IL, born Friday, June 23, 1944, passed away Sunday, January 8, 2023 at his residence, surrounded by his loved ones after a brief illness.
Jerry was a beloved husband, father, Grandpa Tappy, educator, musician, fisherman and volunteer. He was a member of St. Henry Catholic Church in Belleville, IL.
Jerry grew up in Staunton, IL and received his Bachelor and two Masters’ Degrees from SIUE. He was an accomplished educator and musician, developing his love of music from a young age. He served as the principal percussionist at the Muny Opera for 46 seasons and was a founding member of the “Parking Lot Crew”. Jerry was a teacher at Gibault, SIUE and SWIC, where he touched the lives of countless students in his Jazz Lab Band, Music Theory and Percussion Instructive classes. He enjoyed fishing off of his dock with his adored grandchildren, traveling the world with Sue, and spending time with his family and friends.
He was preceded in death by his:
- Parents, Steve and Ethel, nee Hawkins, Bolen
- Sister, JoAnn Bolen
Surviving are his:
- Wife of 44 years, Susan, nee Coffey, Bolen of Fairview Heights, IL
- Son, Stephen, his wife, Rebecca, Bolen of St. Louis, MO and their children, Jane and Oliver Bolen
- Daughter, Elizabeth, her husband, Ryan, Stookey of Belleville, IL and their children, Clara, Daniel and James Stookey
- Sister, Linda, her husband, Richard, Bangert of Edwardsville, IL
- Sister-in-Law Clare Coffey of Akron, OH
- Brother-in-Law David, his wife Jena, Coffey of Clarkston, WA
- Numerous, nieces, nephews and cousins
A special thank you to BJC Hospice, his nurse and former student Becca, and Neeshelle for taking such great care of Jerry.
Visitation: Visitation from 4:00 – 8:00 pm, Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, IL and from 10:00 – 11:00 am Thursday, January 12, 2023 at St. Henry Catholic Church in Belleville, IL.
Funeral: Funeral Services will be held at 11:00 am, Thursday, January 12, 2023 at St. Henry Catholic Church, with Rev. Kenneth York officiating. Interment will follow at Lake View Memorial Gardens, Fairview Heights, IL.