The Honorable Jan V. Fiss
March 4, 1942 - November 19, 2018
Service Date: November 29, 2018
The Honorable Jan V. Fiss, 76, of Belleville, Illinois, born Wednesday, March 4, 1942, in East Saint Louis, IL, passed away Monday, November 19, 2018 at his residence.
Jan was born in East Saint Louis on March 4th, 1942. He spent much of his childhood in New York City where he attended St. Rosa Lima Catholic School with his little brother Charlie. He was a proud graduate of Assumption High School, class of 1960. He attended Saint Louis University, University of Missouri, and ultimately graduated from his beloved Arizona State University in 1964. After graduating, he spent time in Europe, and went on to attend and graduate from the University of Illinois College of Law in 1968. Jan went to work in private practice for Kassly, Weihl and Bone, during which time he also served as the Caseyville Village Attorney. In 1979 he became an Associate Judge. In 1995 he was elected as a judge to the 20th Judicial Circuit where he honorably served for 23 years. Outside his distinguished legal career, he attended Saint Clare Catholic Church, O’Fallon, Illinois, and was a member of the Illinois and Saint Clair County Bar Association. Jan was a devoted husband, loving father, doting grandfather, and the anchor of his family.
He was preceded in death by his:
- Paternal Father: Harold Fiss
- Father and Mother: Raymond and Wandaleen , nee Lewis, Geller
- Brother: Charles Geller
Surviving are his:
- Wife: Marsha “Sha”, nee Gregory, Weston-Fiss of Belleville, IL
- 6 Children
- J.V. (Lauren) Fiss of Columbia, IL
- Matthew Fiss of St. Louis, MO
- Scott (Erin) Wuerz of Mansfield, TX
- Krista (Mark) Doiron of Millstadt, IL
- Derek (Gwenn) Weston of St. Petersburg, FL
- Jared (Kristin) Weston of St. Louis, MO
- 6 Grandchildren
- Charli Fiss
- Nora Fiss
- Cooper Wuerz
- Gregory Weston
- Grace Weston
- Leigha Weston
- Brother: Raymond Geller of Belleville, IL
- Sister: Beau (David) Carstensen of Hinsdale, IL
- Nephew: Zachary (Maya) Carstensen
- Niece: Caroline Carstensen
- Great Nephew and Niece: Kane and Crosby Carstensen
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the Hospice of Southern Illinois
Visitation: Visitation from 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Thursday, November 29, 2018 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: Memorial Service will be held at 7:00 pm, Thursday, November 29, 2018 at the funeral home with Deacon Dennis Vander Ven officiating. Private interment at Mount Carmel Cemetery, Belleville, Illinois.