September 8, 1932 - July 1, 2018
Service Date: July 5, 2018
Donald Sargent, 85, of Smithton, Illinois, born Thursday, September 8, 1932, in East St. Louis, Illinois, passed away Sunday, July 1, 2018 at his residence in Smithton, Illinois.
Don graduated from East St. Louis Senior High School, Class of 1950, and entered the United States Air Force during the Korean War and served as an Airborne Radar Technician for a four year enlistment. Upon discharge from the Air Force, he attended college at Belleville Jr. College (SWIC today) and Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
Don met the love of his life, Marilyn J. Sargent (nee Smith) at Winstanley Baptist Church in 1956. They were married at the church on June 8, 1957 and she preceded him in death on February 17, 2017. He was also preceded by his parents, James W. Sargent and Hazel J. Sargent (nee Collins).
Don was employed with Emerson Electric Company and Systems & Electronics, Inc. in St. Louis, Missouri for 40 years as a Military Logistics Specialist.
Surviving are their
- Stephen R. Sargent (Pam) of Godfrey, Illinois
- Gregory K. Sargent of Freeburg, Illinois
- Daughter-in-law: Sheila M. Sargent of Smithton, Illinois
- Michael K. Sargent of Ridgecrest, California
- Cory J. Sargent (Brittney) of Paderborn, Illinois
- Stephanie L. Shepperson (Mike) of Collinsville, Illinois
- Kendra J. Sargent of Smithton, Illinois
- Aubrie Patino
- Ariana Shepperson
- Abbygale Shepperson
- James Sargent
- Jonathan Sargent
- Lucy Sargent
- James Sargent of O’Fallon, Illinois
- Richard Sargent of Chicago, Illinois
Memorials: Memorials may be made to Vitas Hospice.
Services: Private family visitation will be held with burial at Lake View Memorial Gardens, Fairview Heights, Illinois.