Mary Catherine Cahnovsky
April 23, 1921 - June 29, 2018
Service Date: July 9, 2018
Mary Catherine Cahnovsky, nee Kennedy, 97, of Belleville, Illinois, born Saturday, April 23, 1921, in Niles, Michigan, passed away Friday, June 29, 2018, at Dammert Geriatric Center in Belleville, Illinois.
Mary was as a nurse and homemaker. She was a faithful member of Our Lady Queen of Peace in Belleville, Illinois where she was a Eucharistic Minister and Social Outreach Volunteer. Mary was a St. Elizabeth’s Volunteer, a member of the Dental Auxiliary, and the 2014 Honor Flight participant. She was a U.S. WWII Army Air Corps nurse at Pyote Air Force Base, Pyote, TX.
Mary was preceded in death by her:
- Husband: Dr. Richard R. Cahnovsky
- Grandson: Daniel P. Heffernan
- Parents: Emmett and Kathryn, nee Klein, Kennedy
- Robert (Betty) Kennedy
- Thomas Kennedy
- Joseph (Kareen) Kennedy
- Son-in-law: Maurice Hjort
- Josie (Henry) Morawski
- Anne (Edward) Snajdr
Surviving are her:
- Carol Hjort of Charleston, IL
- Anthony Cahnovsky of Belleville, IL
- John (Linda Miller) Cahnovsky of Belleville, IL
- Thomas Cahnovsky of Belleville, IL
- Paul Cahnovsky of East St. Louis, IL
- Jean (Gary) O’Hare of Charlotte, NC
- Diane (Mike) Heffernan of Millstadt, IL
- Christopher Cahnovsky of Maryville, IL
- Grandchildren: Tim, Roman, Ruslan, Nick, Megan, Kevin, Ryan, Marie
- Sister-in-law: Doris Kennedy
- Special nieces and nephews
Special thanks: The family would like to thank the staff at Dammert Geriatic Center for their loving care of our dear mother.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and will be accepted at the church.
Visitation: Visitation from 9:00 am – 11:00 am, Monday, July 9, 2018, at Our Lady Queen of Peace in Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11:00 am, July 9, 2018, at Our Lady Queen of Peace, with Father Matthew Elie officiating. Interment will follow at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.