James "Jim" Irvin
James "Jim" Jacob Irvin, 78, of Belleville, IL, born Tuesday, March 28, 1933, in East St. Louis, IL, passed away Thursday, May 26, 2011 peacefully at his home with all of his loving family at his side.
Jim retired from CSX L&N Railroad. After he retired, he enjoyed bowling and was on several bowling teams. He accomplished a perfect "300" game on his senior citizens team, the "Rejects". Jim was better known to his teammates as Doc, they never knew what he had in his black bag to help his bowling or his teammates. He enjoyed tinkering and taking items apart and not always getting them back together. He also loved purchasing must-have items from the Home Shopping Channel. Jim had the best sense of humor, he always made everyone laugh and after spending any time with him, you would go away with a funny story. He loved his family and gave so much of himself. He will be missed more than he could ever know.
He was preceded in death by his:
- Parents: James and Nellie nee Thomas, Irvin
- Son: Kevin Irvin
- Daughter: Joni Swan
- Sister: Vivian Copenhaven
Surviving are his:
- Loving wife and best friend: Bobbi M. nee Etherton, Irvin of Belleville, IL
- James (Connie) Irvin of Collinsville, IL
- Gary (Cheryl) Irvin of Alhambra, IL
- Tanya (Loyd) DeRossett of Caseyville, IL
- Phyllis Tilk of Belleville, IL
- Linda (Mike) Barriger of Swansea, IL
- Chuck (Patty "Myrtle") Swan of Fairview Heights, IL
- Sister: Edna Johnson of Elizabethtown, IL
- 27 Grandchildren
- 38 Great-Grandchildren
- 2 Great Great Grandchildren
- Numerous nieces and nephews
- Thought of as Daughters
- Shirley (Dave) McCaw of Fairview Heights, IL
- Becky (Jim) Durham of Collinsville, IL
- Debbie Harbison of Mulkeytown, IL
- One loyal and spoiled Sheltie "Kylie"
Special thanks: Thank you to Hospice of Southern Illinois, especially Bobbie, Pam and Renee.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to Hospice of Southern Illinois or St. Jude Children's Hospital.
Visitation: Friends may call from 4:00 pm - 8:00pm Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 11 am on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at the Kurrus Funeral Home Chapel. Interment will follow at Valhalla Gardens of Memory.
Condolences left for James "Jim" Irvin: