Marjorie Ann Yund, nee May, 88, of Shiloh, IL, born Monday, March 7, 1921, in St. Louis, MO, died Saturday, May 23, 2009 in Memorial Hospital in Belleville, IL.
In late August of 2005, as a result of Hurricane Katrina, Marjorie was evacuated to Belleville, IL by her family from her partially damaged home of 48 years in Gulfport, Mississippi. In early October of that year, she became a resident of the Fountains of Shiloh.
Marjorie graduated from E. St. Louis, IL Senior High School in 1939. She later graduated from William Woods College in Fulton, MO and subsequently received a Bachelor of Music Degree, specializing in organ, from the University of Kansas in 1944. She was a church organist for over 50 years, serving at St. Paul's Methodist Church in E. St. Louis, IL, the First United Methodist Church in Collinsville, IL, and the First Methodist Church of Gulfport, Mississippi. Illness forced her retirement from her last full time position in 1990 but she continued to substitute until 1996. She attended St. Matthew United Methodist Church of Belleville, IL
Marjorie enjoyed attending concerts of the St. Louis Symphony and performances of the St. Louis Opera Theatre. She was an avid listener to the Saturday broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera
She is preceded in death by:
She is survived by:
- Husband: Howard D. Yund
- Parents: George P. and Ruby nee Custer May
- Brother: George P. May Jr.
- Sister-in-law: Roberta Gwen May
- Brother-in-law: Alden Yund
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the St. Matthew U.M.C of Belleville, Il or First U.M.C of Gulfport, MS or Donors Choice.
- Brother: Richard C. May of Belleville, IL
- Sister-in-law: Frances Mulvaney of New Jersey
- Nephew: Richard C. May Jr. of Belleville, IL
- Victoria May and husband Jeff Boyd of Robinson, IL
- Beverly Roxanne May of Phoenix , AZ
- Melanie (Charles) Reibly of Glendale Heights, IL
- Great Nephews: Andrew, Michael, and Marcus Reibly
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 11:00am Saturday, May 30, 2009 at Valhalla Mausoleum Chapel, Belleville, IL with Rev. Larry Patton officiating. Interment will follow at Valhalla Gardens of Memory, Belleville, IL