George Robert Stevens, 80, of Belleville, IL, born Saturday, July 28, 1928, in East St. Louis, IL, died Friday, May 29, 2009 at Memorial Hospital in Belleville, IL.
Mr. Stevens worked 50 years in the Aerospace Industry with Emerson Electric Company and other employers, retiring as Vice President of ESL Services Company. He was a graduate of the Unversity of Missouri, Columbia and was a member of First United Presbyterian Church and an elder in the church, Gothic Lodge #852 AF & AM, Scottish Rite Valley of Southern Illinois, Ainad Temple Shrine, Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, Friends of Lovejoy Library and a U.S. Army Korean War Veteran.
He was an avid reader and a regular patron of the Fairview Heights library.
He is preceded in death by:
He is survived by:
- Wife: Barbara A. nee Skyles Stevens whom he married October 9, 1954
- Parents: Oscar Newton and Helen Fredonia nee Veatch Stevens.
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the charity of the donor's choice.
- Mary Ellen (Scott) Ferguson of Woodinville, WA
- Elizabeth Ann (Alan) Sherman of San Francisco, CA
- Jane Marie (Daniel) Keating of University City, MO
- Amanda Lee and Robert Edward Ferguson of Seattle, WA
- Lindsay, Adam Robert and Jordan Ashley Sherman of Foster Ciry, CA
- Amy Theresa, Emily Jane, and Matthew Jeremiah Keating of University City, MO
Visitation: Friends may call from 5-8 P.M., Friday, June 5, 2009 at the Kurrus Funeral Home, Belleville, IL
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 10:00 am Saturday, June 6, 2009 at Kurrus Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Dr. Greg Stovell officiating. Interment will follow at Valhalla Gardens of Memory Mausoleum in Belleville, IL.