Raymond A. Rakowski, 84, of Belleville, IL, born Thursday, August 14, 1924, in East St. Louis, IL, died Thursday, July 30, 2009 at Willowcreek Rehab & Nursing Center in Belleville, IL.
Mr. Rakowski was a retired machinist for Terminal Railroad. He was a member of Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Belleville, IL, Polish American War Veterans and a U.S. Army WWII veteran serving in the 2nd armored tank division in the Battle of the Bulge.
He is preceded in death by:
He is survived by:
- Parents: Anthony and Mary, nee Gregowicz Rakowski
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the Hospice of Southern Illinois or Donor's choice.
- Wife of 60 years Lorraine Rakowski neeYakubiak whom he married on May 28, 1949
- Daughter: Carol (Bill) Dixon of Belleville, IL
- Raymond (Elizabeth) Rakowski of Belleville, IL
- William (Nancy) Rakowski of Belleville, IL
- Sister: Dorothy Rakowski of St. Louis, MO
- Bill (Irene) Dixon
- Melissa (Chad) Hart
- Diney Rakowski
- Zachary Rakowski
- Lindsey Rakowski
- Great-Grandson: Troy Hart
Visitation: Friends may call from 4-7 P.M., Sunday, August 2, 2009 at the Kurrus Funeral Home, Belleville, IL. There will be a Polish American War Veteran Honor Guard from 6-7 pm on Sunday at the funeral home.
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 10:00 am Monday, August 3, 2009 at Kurrus Funeral Home, with Father Jack McEvilly officiating. Interment will follow at St. Adalbert Cemetery in Fairview Heights, IL.