Fern M. Koleson nee Beanland, 97, born April 26, 1912 in Barnett, MO, died on June 10, 2009 at Memorial Hospital in Belleville, IL peacefully after a brief illness.
Fern moved with her young family to East St. Louis in 1939 where her husband found work as an Ironworker and then to Collinsville in 1965. As a homemaker, Fern was a dedicated grandma and aunt, caring for her grandchildren and nieces and nephews as babies and into adulthood. There were always suckers in the roasting pan on the kitchen counter for any children who came to visit. Fern was a 50-year member of Rob Morris Chapter 98 O.E.S. and Al Sihah Temple #29 Daughters of the Nile.
She and her husband Swede enjoyed being with their many friends at Ainad Shrine and Royal Order of the Jesters Court 86 events and trips across the country. For the past seven years Fern lived with her son Donald (Elizabeth) Koleson in St. Jacob, IL and Nokomis, FL.
She is preceded in death by:
She is survived by:
- Husband: Ralph "Swede" Koleson whom she married in Versailles, MO on January 16, 1932 and who died on July 4, 1990
- Parents; Edward "Ted" and Minnie, nee Bookout Beanland
- Brothers; Leonard, Edsel, Leroy, John Paul, and Howard Dale Beanland
A special thanks to Dr. Brad Ringhofer who cared for her for many years and the caring staff at Memorial Hospital and Memorial Convalescent Center.
- Son; Donald (Elizabeth) Koleson of St. Jacob, IL
- Anne Koleson, O'Fallon, IL
- David Koleson of Greenville, IL
- Janet nee Koleson (Doug) Hubbard, Glen Ellyn, IL
- Great Grandchildren
- Jenna, Brooke, and Alexa Koleson of Daimansville, IL
- Evan, Madeleine, and Steven Hubbard of Glen Ellyn, IL
- Sister; Jewell nee Beanland (Leonard Cuchna) Daugherty of Glen Carbon, IL
- Sister-in-law; Shirley nee Umstattd Beanland of Collinsville, IL
- Many beloved nieces, nephews, great-nieces, and great-nephews around the country.
Memorials: In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to Shriner's Hospital or the Scottish Rite Learning Center in Belleville.
Visitation: Friends may call from 4-8pm on Friday June 12, 2009 at the Kurrus Funeral Home in Belleville, IL. There will be an Eastern Star service at 7pm followed by a Daughters of the Nile service at 7:30pm on Friday.
Funeral: A private family burial will be at Eldon City Cemetery in Eldon, MO on Saturday June 13, 2009.