Helen "Nanny" Jeffreys, 92, formerly of Sacramento, CA, born on February 14, 1917 in Steens, MS, passed away peacefully on Saturday, December 26, 2009 at Clinton Manor in New Baden, IL.
She was born to James David McNeese and Myrtis Hughson and lived on the family farm, where she remained through her childhood. She married Robert Eugene Jeffreys, a now retired Air Force Captain, currently residing in Sweet Home, OR and was the beloved mother to four children.
Helen was a devoted Air Force wife during her husband's twenty-one year career, setting up and maintaining homes in Mississippi, Colorado, Bermuda, Texas, California, Indiana and Canada.
She was a Girl Scout leader and volunteered at the hospital. After raising her family, Helen was employed by Weinstocks Department Store as a sales leader in the cosmetics department in Sacramento, CA.
Later in life, Helen courageously battled Alzheimer's disease for nine years while residing in Sacramento and Colfax, CA and in New Baden, IL, with her children. Even in the advanced state of her battle, Nanny never lost her smile and sense of humor, brightening the day for all who saw her.
She is preceded in death by:
She is survived by:
- Brothers: Atwell "Big Mac" McNeese and Selwyn "Little Mac" McNeese
- Son: Robert "Bobby" Eugene Jeffreys, Jr.
- Granddaughter: Stephanie Alayne Smith
- Son-in-Law: Timothy Lee McNamara
Nanny is remembered by her grandchildren and great-grandchildren for her yummy fried chicken and chocolate chip cookies. She was a great seamstress and taught her daughters well.
- Three children
- Virginia Alayne McNamara of Colfax, CA
- Pamella Colleen (Stephen) Smith of New Baden, IL
- Thomas Leslie Jeffreys of Colfax, CA
- Seven grandchildren
- Anthony "Tony" J. Hinojosa
- Tammy (David) Walker
- Timothy Lee McNamara, Jr.,
- Christine A. (Matthew) Black
- Colleen A. (Stewart)England
- Star M. Lee
- Melissa (Mark) Sauer
- Twelve Great-Grandchildren
- Brittany N., Stephanie D. and Anthony P. Hinojosa
- David "DJ" J. and Sydney A. Walker
- BrookeAshley A., McKenzie A., Caleb A. and Judah C. Black
- Adriene C. and Austin S. England
- Jocelyn J. Lee; Kathrine "Kate" Sauer; with the thirteenth due in February
- Great-Great-Granddaughter: Maliyah G. Hinojosa
Memorials: Memorials may be given to Clinton Manor Nursing Home in New Baden, IL or to the Alzheimer's Association.
Funeral: Mrs. Jeffreys' memorial service will be conducted at First Assembly of God Church in Belleville at 10:00 am on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 with Elder Bill Davis officiating. Internment will follow in Alta Mesa Memorial Park in Palo Alto, CA.