Clarence Engle, Sr, 84, of Swansea, Illinois, born Monday, March 23, 1925, in Ava, Illinois, died Saturday, May 2, 2009 at his residence with his family at his bedside. He was the youngest of three brothers.
Mr. Engle, Sr. was the Owner and Operator of Engle Ice and Coal Company for 24 years and retired from Western Southern Life Insurance Company in 1987. He was a member of First Baptist church in Belleville, IL., Ommaney Bay Association, VFW Post 1739 and was a WWII Navy Veteran.
He is preceded in death by:
He is survived by:
- Parents: Omer and Clara nee Arnold Engle
- Beloved Daughter: Patsy Woolin
- Brothers: Les Arnold and Charles Engle
Memorials: Memorials may be made to Hospice of Southern Illinois or to the Family.
- Loving his Wife: Virginia nee Stratton Engle of 64 years, who he married February 18, 1945 in East St. Louis, IL.
- Donnie (Barbara) Engle of Millstadt, IL
- Clara (Edward) Johnston of Shiloh, IL
- Thomas (Nancy) Engle of Fenton, MO
- Shorty (Sue) Engle of Belleville, IL
- Kathy (Leonard) Phipps of Troy, IL
- He was blessed with 28 grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren
Visitation: Friends may call from 4-8pm Tuesday May 5, 2009 at the Kurrus Funeral Home, Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 10:00 am Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at Kurrus Funeral Home, with Rev Paul Sowden officiating. Interment will follow at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri.