Jane K. Agles, nee Knoerzer, 90, of Belleville, Illinois born Tuesday, December 31, 1918, in Saint Louis, Missouri, died Monday, June 1, 2009 at Memorial Hospital in Belleville, IL.
Mrs. Agles was a spirited resident of the Signal Hill community for many years She attended Signal Hill Elementary School and East St. Louis High School. After her marriage she traveled to Corpus Christi, TX with her new husband while he served there with the US Marine Corps. during World War II.
Jane worked as a secretary for Bitumous Casulity Company in Belleville for a brief time. She was a generous philanthropist who supported a variety of organizations especially those that responded to veteran's needs. She loved all animals and was devoted to their care and safety.
Mrs. Agles attended many fund raising events for the Signal Hill Volunteer Fire Department and was especially appreciative of the service they provided to the area. She was an unofficial archivist for Signal Hill as she had known many of it's residents and it's history for three quarters of a century.
She was a long standing member of the St. John's United Church of Christ in Fairview.
Mrs. Agles will be greatly missed by her neighbors, family and many friends.
She is preceded in death by her:
She is survived by her:
- Husband of 42 years Edgar Allen Agles
- Two infant sons: John and Michael
- Parents: John A. and Ethel nee Beckwith Knoerzer
- Brother: John "Jack" Knoerzer Jr. who was killed in WWII at the Battle of the Bulge
- Sister: Ann Knoerzer Recard
- Brother-in-law: James H. Agles and his wife Irene
Memorials: In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to the St. John United Church of Christ of Fairview Hgts. IL.
- Brother-in-law: Richard H. Recard Sr. of Horseheads, NY
- Her sister's children are
- Richard Recard
- Kathleen Recard Ervay
- Nancy Recard Hough
- Steven Recard
- Her brother-in-law's children are
- Alison Alges Fortgang
- James Allen Agles
- Karen Agles Teaford
- Julie Agles Jankee
- Dr. John Agles
- In addition, she has many great nieces and nephews
- Many great nieces, nephews and friends
Visitation: Friends may call from 3-7 P.M., Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at the Kurrus Funeral Home, Belleville, Illinois.
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 11:00 am Thursday, June 11, 2009 at Kurrus Funeral Home with Rev. Georgia White-Kisslring, officiating. Private family interment will follow at Mount Hope Cemetery, Belleville, Illinois.