Richard Allen Merritt, 76, of Belleville, Illinois, born Friday, October 9, 1931, in East Saint Louis, Illinois, died Wednesday, August 27, 2008 in Saint Elizabeth Hospital in Belleville, IL.
Mr. Merritt served in the 187th Airborn 4 years and was a retired Gunnery Sergeant for the United States Marine Corp and served during the Korean and Vietnam War. He also was a self employed Paint Contractor. He was a very active member of St. Matthew United Methodist Church, went on mission trips to Paraguay, a member of the church bowling team and United Methodist Men.
He is preceded in death by:
He is survived by:
- First Wife - Monnie Ruth nee Clark Merritt
- Parents - Raymond & Ruth Caroline nee Snow Merritt
- Sister - Melba Restivo
- Sister - Darlene Ruth Haas
- Brother - Raymond "Buck" Merritt.
- His loving wife, Shirley Lois nee Kasal Walsh-Merritt
- Son, Richard Guy (Sandra) Merritt of Laneville, TX
- Daughter, Monnie Marie (Jim) Taliaferro of Henderson, TX
- Son, Scott E. (Terri) Walsh of Okawville, IL
- Brother, Ronald G. (Sue) Merritt of Fairmont City, IL
- Sister, Gloria "Took" (George) Poston of Smithon, IL
- Sister, Carole (Jack) Holshouser of O'Fallon, IL
- Andrew Merritt
- Chad (Anna) Taliaferro
- Emily (Blake) Hughes
- Savannah Gough
- Jonathan Gough
- Benjamin Gough
- Nineveh Hughes
Memorials: Memorials may be made to the St. Matthew United Methodist Church.
Visitation: Friends may call 4-8 P.M., Thursday, August 28 at the Kurrus Funeral Home, Belleville, Illinois and from 11:30-12:15pm Friday, August 29 at St. Matthew United Methodist Church in Belleville, IL.
Funeral: Funeral services will be held at 12:15 pm Friday, August 29, 2008 at St Matthew United Methodist Church, with Rev. Larry Patton & Rev. Jim Slone officiating. Interment will follow at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri 63125